View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 05:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Hot take: Soaking a card doesn't seem quite as black and white as murder.

You invoked taxes, so let's bore everyone to death by poking at it with my own little taxable tortillon.

As a CPA, I will tell you that there are a lot of shades of gray out there when it comes to deductions. While there are some areas that are clearly black and white, most of the action is in the gray, and discerning the precise shade of gray, and whether it makes sense to go there. You may be shocked to learn that as a tax preparer, my professional standards only require that there must be at least a 40% chance of prevailing in tax court for me to sign a tax return as the preparer.

40%!!!!

I would posit that similar ambiguities abound when it comes to cardboard.

While I'm happy to agree every day of the week and twice on Sunday that trimming is out, I'm not as convinced when it comes wiping off a fingerprint. I've never done it, but it doesn't seem all that terrible to me, and certainly shouldn't be considered as tantamount to murder.

But I guess I'm probably a little too prone to seeing too many shades of gray, and being willing to play in that gray when appropriate.

You are surely literate enough to realize that the socratic companion was used, not a claim that trimming a card or pressing an edge is tantamount to murder. I am often derisive of the general reading comprehension level, but we are surely not that bad here! Nonetheless, thank you for making my central argument for me. While there are likewise large areas of gray and the edges are fuzzy, you are somehow sill perfectly able to render your opinions about these other subjects.