View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Sadly I don't have pictures of any of these cards but my list in no specific order

1. 1994 Upper Deck Mantle/Griffey dual auto I pulled myself from a pack.

2. 1933 Goudey Ruth #181 - I paid 50 bucks for it in the very early 80's (1980?) when "book value" was $250. It would likely grade a 2 today but I didn't care...it was a Ruth.

3. 1934 Goudey Gehrig. I paid 50 bucks for it in the very early 80's (1980) when "book value" was $250. It would likely grade a 2 today but I didn't care...it was a Gehrig (bought from the same guy as the Ruth).

4. 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams. I bought two of these from the same gentleman and I believe I paid $50 for both of them. These would also grade a 1 or 2 but it was the earliest Williams I knew I would ever own.

5. 1955 Sandy Koufax rookie. I just loved this card for some reason and regret selling it.

Needless to say, being a high school kid in the late 70's-early 80's who had money to buy baseball cards was pretty lucrative. I worked and sunk most of my money into buying shopping bags full of cards at a time people could not believe I was paying cash money for stuff they were going to toss out. As I got older and the card boom came, I used these cards as an opportunity to offset our income as we didnt make very much then and help pay for things my kids needed for school. I regret selling everything as I had one heck of a collection but on the other hand, I regret nothing as my kids got to play instruments, go to a private Christian school and get an excellent education and so much more.
Andrew, my dear brother in Jesus, as that grand aged knight said in INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, "You have chosen...wisely." --- Brian Powell