View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 02:49 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Roy Otis is Otis "Doc" Crandall, as they state in the description.
This item was discussed here years ago:
https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1385155
Todd, Thanks so much for providing this info!

So this item was actually being sold for the second time by Hunt Auctions. According to the link provided in the thread from 2015, it sold for $36,634 plus buyer’s premium in 2015, which is less than the $30K plus buyer’s premium it sold this time around..

Leon’s comment from 2015 is fascinating/revealing: “This from a close hobby friend and as trustworthy as they come- (this is assuming it hasn't changed hands)
"Around the late 1990's, the owner of that uncut sheet in Hunt's consigned it to me for private sale. I made a color photocopy of it and sent it out to about 50 people. Nobody showed a strong interest in it, and most were not sure if it was period. I ended up returning it to the owner. I think we were asking 15K for it. I don't remember who got my mailing but it was obviously all of the heavy hitters I knew back then. ...”"

If Leon’s friend was shopping it around for $15k in the ‘90s, then i guess the seller must have been happy to get $40k at auction in 2015 (assuming it didn’t change hands, etc)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-03-2024 at 03:57 AM.