View Single Post
Old 05-17-2024, 10:19 AM
Todd Schultz

I can understand that a commencement speaker at a small Catholic university would feel comfortable making remarks that are consistent with Church teachings as they relate to homosexuality, although why he would feel the need to include them in that setting escaped me. I also know that the Catholic Church continues to grapple with the issue, as it tries its best to balance a big-tent approach (“All are welcome in this place”) with what has been handed down as doctrine. Taking a side on this issue is fair game, especially in this country of so-called freedom, although again, maybe he should have considered the time and place.

The comments on a woman’s place at home are more confounding. He is speaking to many who just spent four years time and six figures of tuition $$$ in order to chase dreams and he basically says take your pretty parchment diploma and use it as a placemat when serving your kid Sloppy Joes. He tells them “I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you.” Diabolical, i.e. coming from the devil. Really? So what part did a liberal arts university have in promoting such lies by encouraging these young women to enroll in the first place? Seems they should offer nothing but degrees in home economics. Or maybe the theory is that the women should have a broader understanding of various subjects so they can better appreciate the problems and stress faced by their bread-winning husbands when they come home from work.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.