View Single Post
Old 05-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Thought I would share another Mantle variation...albeit a minor one!
The item is listed by Kelly E. and graded by PSA as a c1960's Dexter Press Southwestern Historical Wax Museum Postcard. Kelly notes in an SCD article that it is designated as an 809-C, but there are also 99704-B designations. If you look at the Dexter Press dating by year, the 809-C is from 1965 and the 99704-B is from 1964. Small variation I know, but for Mike and Chris I am guessing you want both! lol

The dating holds true for the Dexter Press items I have in my PC too. Curious about what others may have too. Notice the 66/67 Mick's have 22295-C which corresponds to 1967.

The interesting one though is the postcard with Mantle wrapping his knee. This is not mine, but look at the number - 36419. That number is shown as being from 1951. I have only ever seen one of these and maybe it was just a test issue that wasn't released. Who would want a pc of an injured Mick! I do think it is cool though, and would make it one of a few "card" examples of a 1951 rookie Mick.
As always, "thanks" Ben.

I'll need to find my wax postcard to see what version it is. Then, I'll have to put the other on my Want List.

I'll need to look for the Yankee Dexter sets to confirm what number they have. I do have a picture of the Dexter Press Yankee poster on my computer and it has the following number on the back: DT-25546-C. That would correspond to 1967.

I've never seen the Mantle postcard with him wrapping his leg. Very neat item that will also go on my Want List.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1967 Dexter Press Team Poster.jpg (197.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1967 Dexter Press Team Poster reverse.jpg (189.7 KB, 262 views)