View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default Allegheny Card Co.

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I believe Leon is correct when he says these have "made the rounds." I, too, have one (Duff Cooley) which I got from SportscardsPlus (who, I believe, got them from Lew Lipset) almost two years ago for considerably less than the one currentlly being offered on eBay by Terry Knouse.

Most of whatever is common knowledge today about the set is conjecture. People assume it was going to be a card game of some sort because of the design, but with no markings other than the player/team/league stuff on the card, I'm not sure what you could have played. The cards are also on fairly thin stock (more like Walter Mails than the later playing cards like Fan Craze, Polo Grounds, Tom Barker) and no one knows if this was going to be the "production" style or just a mock up to be produced later on heavier stock. It is also odd that only the National League is represented, again leading to speculation that a parallel American League version might later have been developed had this one proved successful. Like the Breisch Williams, because of the timing there were players available in this set not to be found anywhere else.