View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: vorthian

Halleygator:

<< Thanks to Vorthian ... I will indeed be able to add a PSA 5 Stan Coveleski card to my set in the immediate future!! >>

I overnighted that beast to you, Hal. Thanks to Hal ... I'll be stopping at Powell's bookstore in Chicago to upgrade my library.

runscott:

<< ...for the consumer, that is. Is there a benefit to anyone other than the grading company? >>

I don't understand why some people assume that the grading companies are making out like bandits so to speak. Pre-set registry days, there were many people chasing completely graded sets. Did the concepts of "competition" and "ego" exist then? Now take that and apply it to those people who are not concerned with competion and ego and just want what they like.

People also need to realize that the PSA super-collectors named Fogel and Merkle have amazing collections, but much of it was purchased many years ago because they wanted the best possible at that time. By today's standards, they have nothing into them. Going off on a tangent, that could be why they take the GAI route - because the risk is low.

How this benefits the consumer? I have noticed more alliances being made thanks to the PSA set registry than prior. It's also bringing people together with a common interest. And to some, it gives them a goal in which they will be recognized in some way.

<< ...how about a Cobb set registry (every Cobb card made while he was a player?) >>

As Marc said, they will be doing player sets as long as there is enough interest.

<< I had no idea there were so many types of sets being registered...so it is sort of an ego thing. >>

I wouldn't say it's solely an ego thing. Believe it or not, there are some people that are just plain bored and don't care. Then again there are also some that are driven by the ego thing, but I wouldn't say all.

petecld:

<< Now to convince SGC of the huge jump in business they would get if they started to just authenticate vintage cards. >>

I'm all for that idea as long as it stays with a broad sense kept in mind. The day it becomes specific, it will confuse some people - much like BCCG and their 10 grade meaning MINT OR BETTER, which has prompted bid retractions because the Beckett 10 grade was never MINT OR BETTER. As far as people attributing grades to "authentic only" cards in an attempt to deceive, people are going to do what they want to do. Heck, take a glance at eBay now and I'm sure you will see enough of that going on - which is amusing at times, other times it's quite repulsive.

<< The PSA set awards - THAT'S truely a sad comment on our hobby. >>

Do explain...