View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default Am I Missing Something Here????

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The "Topps 2002 T206" (or something like that) is covered. But I can't find the part that says "original T206s" or anything like that. The only section with early players is entitled "reprints." Then there's a section of "backs" : Cycle, Bazooka (?!!), and other old (and really old) backs--but i think that part has current players on the front!?. The "power number" for the set is "5," which means it's selling very well. But I can't find an example, or a list, of real T206s in the review.

I have not gone to Davesdougout (Dennis King, if he still sells cards at all, has just a few really nice ones in the basement of his print-and-painting gallery) to try to cash in on the , er, "riches." (The two dealers mentioned--stores, really--are in Berkeley)

I think, if the set were less confusing, that encapsulating T206s and inserting them in packs of Topps 2002 cards would be a good idea, drawing collectors of modern cards, if any, into more interesting aspects of the hobby. But apparently, the way they have the set set up, the poor new hobbyest doesn't really know what he's getting, and after buying, probably doesn't know what he has.