View Single Post
Old 03-27-2002, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default Trimmed? Or something else?

Posted By: leon

Very good points. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. As a relative newcomer to collecting I have a harder time with trimming than I do with most other things. Case in point. I am buying a D359 Williams Baking card (from FKW- sorry Scott couldn't wait for ya) and it has a very close top border. I mean it is about 1/32 of an inch or less. As always Frank is the ultimate collectors friend and has said he will let me send it in and if it comes back trimmed he will give me a refund. He is actually sending me the card before I pay for it (but that's beside the point). He asked if I had another card to look at to compare. I had forgotten I had a D359 Rochester card but then checked it. One small thing is that when I won the card on ebay a few years ago it came with a note that said that this card was this persons grandfathers and he had gotten it as a kid (I presume from a loaf of bread) so please take care of it......This note was sent after the auction so I know it was not hype (why would it be?) I compared the scan Frank sent me to my card and looked for correct measurements in the SCD. Guess what? My card is cut very close at the top, has rounded corners AND is a tad smaller than the card Frank is sending AND smaller than the dimensions stated in the SCD. I will inspect the new card when I get it but if it is not wavy and doesn't have any of the indentions mentioned, I will probably hang onto it. I am getting to see Jays and some others points about some of this stuff. I think I am becoming a better judge (after seeing enough cards) than what a grading company is !! With all that said I still do not mind the verification although size of most old issues concerns me less than those darn wavy cuts....regards all...