View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Just How Good Do Us Vintage Fans Think Barry Bonds Is???

Posted By: jverri01

And not afraid to admit it.

I honestly think that players have an "obligation" to their fans. I think Bonds falls shy of this by a long-shot.

As for talent - well, difficult to say. His slugging percentage is always good - a key factor, I feel. However, I have serious concerns about pitching in general in the NL over the past 10 years. Add a lowered mound to the mix - and it is my opinion that Bonds is mediocre. Personally, I wouldn't vote him in to the HOF. Does anyone know off hand his post-season numbers? Alot of times, I assess a player by their post-season performance. Post season is so much more intense, I feel it "draws out" a players natural ability - or, conversely - only magnifies the obvious reality that a player is really no more than the hype they are entombed in.

I think a good point was made about the possibility of him being "juiced". I think it's a good thing Sports Illustrated is shedding some light on this. For years, it has been an undiscussed issue. Regardless of whether a fan personally feels steroids are ok to use, or not - we have to have some kind of an even playing plateau. Steroid use makes it nearly impossible for that to happen. I was glad to see Glavine (a native of the Boston area), Schilling, and Smoltz speaking out about it.

If the use of chemicals is forbidden in the olympics, why not in baseball?

My understanding is that the players union stands in the way of any formal testing being approved.

I am a traditionalist, I guess. I would go so far as to say, any player, Caminiti, McGwire - that is proven to be using these substances, should face a fine, suspension, possible ban from baseball, and possibly even be stripped of any title won during a season in which steroids were used.

My thoughts only.