View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Unopened Sweet Caporal pack

Posted By: David

I owned a carton of the circa 1922 packs and sold them all off individually. With the glassine paper wrap on, it was virtually impossible to read the factory date, because it was printed very small and in red ink. I've never seen a 1909 pack with the glassine paper wrap. The glassine paper was very delicate and brittle and I think it would be almost impossible to wrap the paper and put it back on without making it look like crap. I also had a few 1909 packs from a variety of brands. From the outside they looked essentially the same as the 1922, but inside they were slide boxes (like match boxes), while the 1922 packs had flaps that fold inside on each end like a Milk Duds box.

The funny thing with the 1922 box at lest, is that the tax stamp covered one side of the box, but you could simply open up the box from the other side, leaving the stamp in tact. I'm don't remember but this same deal may apply with the 1909 boxes (meaning, watch out)As the 1922 packs do not contain any cards, it's a moot issue though.

Most of the 1922 unopened packs sold for around $30-60 a piece, so when you see a 'T206 pack' for by someone you don't know, bid on it in that range. Already opened boxes from the 1909 era, including Sweet Caporal, Piedmond and Hustler (Yes, I had a Hustler pack), will often sell for that range or more.