View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech - WOW! More and more, I really like this company

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Sorry, I still don't agree that one error (a quickly admitted and corrected error) makes the cake either way.

These guys have the credential to do what they are doing, and their overall product and service far exceeds those in the biz.

I have a couple SGC boo-boo's in my collection now. Mislabelled cards. Should we take SGC out and shoot 'em all? I think not. (Criminy, this is getting so blown outta proportion!)

Like any other Grading Co, Grade-Tech employs people who are fallible and can make an error. (Oh my God, it's true...) BcD has said on this Bulletin Board that he has sent restored and some otherwise altered cards to the Big-Boys (PSA and/or SGC) as a test. They graded and slabbed a few of his not-quite-authentic cards...so...should we take them out and shoot 'em all? Again, I think not.

PRO purposely grades and slabs trimmed altered cards. AAA slabs toilet paper, magazine articles/ads, photocopies of whatever... Should we take them out and shoot 'em? I think there's some thoughts on that subject. THese guys do INTENTIONAL crap. No way will Grade-Tech "fall into" the PRO, et al, category...

I think Grade Tech is on the right track, totally. I'll bet they've gone back to the employee that mis-graded this card and helped him/her see and better understand the error. As owners and managers of the overall business, can they oversee every card that gets graded? No, not any more than the owners of SGC or PSA do. Arguably, at the beginning, they need to see larger sample of the post-graded/slabbed cards for quality control...but they won't be able to do it forever. What they do need, though, (and I think they have this) is the ability to see an error, admit it, own up to it, correct it, and learn from it. I've NEVER seen or heard of PSA or SGC admit to anything but "being the best" blah blah blah... They've made their share of mistakes.

I like Joe and Lloyd's experience and credentials. They have the background, unlike many other business owners... CEO's of banks couldn't process a loan if their lives depended on it, but they can run the show. CEO's of Airlines are rarely (or never) pilots themselves, but they can run airline businesses. Hospital Administrators are not doctors, but they can run a hospital. These people all hire professionals to do the professional/technical work, and they manage the bigger picture and ensure overall customer satisfaction. The CEO of Libby or Squibb Pharmaceutical is not a pharmacist or a researcher, and the President of John Deere doesn't go out and build his own tractors or "run them on the farm". It's about listening to people and customers, finding out what they want, and delivering it.

I want to do what I can, personally, to help Grade-Tech...give them any advice I can offer, and see them develop their product to outshine and out-do the other guys. I think they already do, frankly, and I intend to send my collection to them for grading and holders. I think their product is outstanding and I love the extra/peripheral things that come with it. A far superior product compared to the others...

(I also found out that PSA's and SGC's "new innovative" holders aren't even UVA protected, which is disappointing...Grade-Tech's are and they are double sealed -- plus, they really are the only ones with a true tamper-prrof seal).

-dan