View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Default I'm surprised at everyone's patience

Posted By: jeff s

ditto--until a few weeks ago, I only browsed the "pre-1950->non-graded" section. When I switched to browsing all of the graded stuff too, I was stunned that half of the featured auctions were AAA/NASA/etc.

Some observations:

1. It always looks to me like the money-making aspect of these enterprises is questionable. I think featuring your auction costs $15 above and beyond regular listing fees. It seems like a decent number of the magazine clippings go for $10.

2. Isn't there (or didn't there used to be) a feedback level at which eBay would say "enough is enough"? And doesn't the main purveyor of this stuff have something like 40 negs? That's quite a few for someone allowed to do all of these things (featured auctions, private auctions, etc.) that eBay places all sorts of restrictions on.

3. Does eBay EVER step in and "move" auctions? Their boilerplate has all sorts of stuff about it (they reserve the right to end mis-categorized auctions; to move them, etc.), but I've never known of any auctions that were moved or ended. I mean, a John Deere tractor was listed in the pre-1950 section a couple of weeks ago. My point is--is it reasonable to expect that in this case, they would do anything, when the only thing this guy is doing that violates eBay rules is listing a clipping in the card section?

I would think the most effective way to stop somebody that is offensive to us would require doing something more questionable than what he does -- since it impossible to contact all potential customers, we have to get him off ebay. Since it's impossible (or so it seems) to get him off ebay simply because of his current violations, it must be shown that he is violating something else. I know that buyer's can file fraud complaints through eBay...perhaps somebody could convince past buyers to file such compliants, or we could all invest $10 in a clipping to file a complaint, and if enough complaints piled up, THAT might be enough to get rid of him.

Until, of course, he got a new ID.

Just my thoughts.