View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Card Prices

Posted By: Jay Miller

Brian--I know of at least ten people working on a set of at least one of each player so there is demand for every player in the set. With this in mind the price variations that I think you are talking about based on rarity make sense. A seperate question is how do you price unique cards. There is one non-California League card that is believed to be unique(Gibson-Athletics)and many of the California League cards are thought to be unique. There are probably another twenty players who are thought to have only a handful of cards. These cards should sell for many many multiples of common prices; Gibson should be a six figure card. However, this is all predicated on people collecting the set. The more people who collect a set the more the premium for rarity. A unique T206 card would be worth more than a unique Old Judge card since more people collect the set. Using the same line of thinking a unique Old Judge card should sell for more than a unique Kalamazoo Bats card.I think this is borne out in the marketplace. Pose scarcity is another question, however. Not that rare poses shouldn't sell for more than common ones(assuming enough people care)but I maintain that the people selling these cards claiming they have rare poses don't have a clue. It is only rare because that is the one they need to hype. That is where I have my gripe.