View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default Review of Greater Boston Sports Collector's Show

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I attended the first day of this annual three-day show on Friday. Overall, I thought that the volume of vintage material (pre-1915) was down considerably.

Some of the more notable dealers included: Terry Knouse, Roger Burns, Steve Verkman, Lelands, Mr. Mint, Ron Barksdale, Ron Johnson, Bob Wood, and Hunt's Auctions.

Terry Knouse had his usual amazing selection of 19th and early 20th century cards and memorabilia. He had a tremendous 1916 Red Sox Pennant. Also a large selection of cabinet cards including: all the Dukes, many T3s, a Plank T5, numerous W600 Sporting Life Cabinets, a half dozen L1 leathers, and huge lot of Arras Keyers cabinets, several Plowboy Tobacco cabinets, and two T4 Obak cabinets.

Highlights of the show included: meeting Bill Cornell as we both were checking out the Fatima T222's at Roger Burns booth, meeting Don Betz at The Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector Booth, and selling a 1890's era team cabinet of the "P R Schuylers of Dickinson" to Lelands, which enabled me to purchase a Nr Mint W600 cabinet of George Gibson from Terry Knouse.

Some of the nicer items that I spotted included: a Matty L1, a George Gibson Hermes Ice Pin, many slabbed Mayos, and a PSA 8 Chief Meyers 1915 Cracker Jack. Furthermore, Ron Barksdale, a CT dealer had his usual nice assortment of colored S74 silks, near mint E254 Colgan's Chips, and numerous quality T207s.

Othen than the Colgan Chips, I was also very surprised that I saw only about 6 other E-cards.

Did anyone else attend?