View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default Check This Out -- The Phony Sports Illustrated / AAA Reply

Posted By: Tom

what he's doing is sadly legal. Whoever has set up this scam has taken the time to create a decent website for AAA and when you punch in the number, it pull up details for the 'card' and looks quite legitimate. I also believe that Pacificvinatagesports, Roy Huff and AAA are one in the same or closely related but unfortunately, I think what he's doing would stand up in court. It's not illegal as much as immoral and praying on the generally uneducated sports buyer.

Someone logs onto ebay and sees a T205 Mathewson for $500-$600 or T206 or E card or whatever in the $500-$1000 range and wants it but also sees the 'paper stock cutout' from a 1910 Spalding guide for $55, it's a matter of economics. Unfortunately, there's no real way to educate people until they go to re-sell this high quality, 'legal' merchandise and they see there is no secondary market for it. Then it gets rehashed on ebay to some other newbie and the original person loses their money. Sad but true that it's probably a legal operation.

The response was interesting and I think the person has told themselves enough that it's a legal, ethical business to the point that they believe it too.