View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Default Crease or paper loss?

Posted By: TBob

but I would rather have an EXMT front and a little paper loss on the back than a G+ or VG- card with creases and rounding corners and a complete back. I think the price guides and collector prices in general were 180 degrees opposite to this view for a long time, but lately I have noticed tobacco and caramel (especially) cards with nice fronts and a little back damage really picking up steam and getting higher prices proportionately than lower grade cards with complete backs.
I remember being stunned about 6 or 7 years ago to have the owner of one of the biggest auction houses telling me that corners were more important than wrinkles or creases, because many creases and all wrinkles could be removed but it takes a lot of time, expertise and patience to "build" corners. Is it any wonder that about a year later we started seeing a flood of PSA8's and 9's in vintage cards. Ever wonder if laser cutters and soaking and stretching methods contributed to these cards looking so nice and not having any wrinkles and sharp corners?