View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default Paper Policeman, Help!

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

The people on this board discuss the issues about AAA and others of that ilk because they do one thing: they obfuscate the truth about what they are selling for a profit. That's it.

They lure people to their POS items by listing them under "graded cards" categories when they are not "cards". They are pictures cut out of old encyclopedias, magazines, etc.

The first Matty I bought on eBay (a LONG time ago) was a 19-something "Spalding" whatever slabbed by NASA. I thought "wow" I can't even find it listed, it must really be rare...I didn't know, I was a bit of a newbie, and I had only (at that time) owned a few cards beginning with a Matty T206 Portrait that my uncle gave to me about 25 years ago. I wasn't stupid, just inexperienced, and I screwed up. At least it only cost me about $10. So, it wasn't some cathartic rip-off that would embitter me to the trade...but, when people get sucked into one of Huff's misrepresented POS's and they Buy-It-Now for $500 or $995, it might be a different story - when they find out later that what they bought was totally worthless. It hurts us and the trade.

On top of all that, Huff and Co. are destroying old periodicals that, in totality, do have some value. But, when they are cut-up and destroyed, they are worthless and a piece of collecting history has been destroyed just so some a-hole could misrepresent a product and rip someone off.

Quite honestly, this whole thread was started and propegated by those JOKES, Roy and Co. Look at that latest poster, Roylian Occulti (talking about us being an occult/religion because we collect cards.)

(Roy)lian (Occult)i... give me a break. Again, this is not the first time Roy and Co. have posted here to stir things up.

I think this board and the discussions herein are very much worthwhile for new people, Rod. There is no reason to leave because of an occasional disagreement, because that will happen. I've had occasional leaves of absence from here, but that was because there was a "poster" who really got personal with me and others and, honestly, out-and-out foul and offensive with a lot of what he said. I and others often disagree on many issues here, from card values, grading companies, and so forth. But, that's part of the fun here - to get the collectors' different points of view.

Regarding Roylian Occulti's ridiculous posting above...where he suggests this: "If you dont have anything better to do You should write the Baseball Vintage Trading Bible."

Well, Roylian: Bob Lemke does post here often, and he does work to produce the SCD Baseball Card Catalog "Bible" that many of us use daily. He even asks the Board for input in what cards to use on his cover...and we have dialogues with him when issues come up with pricing or listing information in the book. So, we're already WAY AHEAD OF YOU "Roylian"...