Thread: Page Views
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default Page Views

Posted By: jeff s

this isn't quite as many as it seems.

correct me if I'm wrong, but page views measure the number of times any page on a web server or in a web directory is loaded. Thus, each one of us, on every visit to the site, probably account for multiple page views.

As an example, let's say I visit daily. If all I do is look at the menu and leave, that's 30 page views per month. However, if I see that there are 5 topics that have been updated since I last visited and I want to read them all, I'll visit the first one (p.v.#2), click "return to index" (#3), visit the second one (#4), "return to index" (*5), and so on, up to about ten page views. So, if that happens daily, I'm responsible for 300 of the ~90,000 page views.

And while many of us, I'm sure, don't check daily, and don't read every post, there are others who probably account for more. The sheer volume of MW's posting indicates he has probably been responsible for upwards of 100 page views in the last few days. (Not that I'm complaining, Mike <G>.)

So, if we figure that a "regular" is responsible for 300 page views a month, that's only 300 or so regulars (90,000 / 300). Still one heck of a lot of people reading our obscure vintage baseball card nonsense, but maybe not as staggering as the initial impression indicates.