View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default Pete Rose in the HOF?

Posted By: nolemmings (Todd)

<14th Amendment equal protection and due process with a little selective enforcement thrown in.
In the words of Gilbert and Sullivan's Chief Executioner in The Mikado "Let the punishment fit the crime." He has been punished enough, let him in.>
Due process? He was afforded an opportunity to present his case and show that he didn't do it. His response--enter a deal with the Commissioner whereby he agrees to a lifeftime ban,i.e. quash the process.
Due process because there was no notice of the offense or its consequences? Already covered.

14th Amendment equal protection? What class or category of person is being treated disparately here?

Selective enforcement? Show me the evidence of those who went unpunished after the rule was written and posted in baseball clubhouses. If anything, those who were punished before there was an edict, e.g. the eight men out, would have some sort of ex post facto argument, but not so here.

Your best argument is your last one, kind of an 8th amendment cruel and unusual punishment argument. I disagree, but do believe that to be the subject of fair debate. Tell me though, when in your opinion was Rose "punished enough"- several years ago, just now, from the outset?