View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default Does anyone know this seller?

Posted By: runscott

If it truly were impossible to tell anything from a scan, then we wouldn't be using them - instead we would bid based entirely on the seller's reputation, and regardless of what Steve says about feedback, it doesn't mean much on ebay - look at "libertyforall"s.

On the other hand, Frank has been posting on this board for a long time and to my knowledge has NEVER been wrong when identifying fakes - he has a fantastic reputation and credentials. But I agree that at this point we have no choice but to wait for Steve to get his cards back from the grading company. It could very well be that Steve was duped and bought a bunch of fakes - certainly his arguments about card thickness carry no weight, since any forger worth their salt will use the correct thickness of stock (see Garth Feldman auctions if you doubt this). To believe that because a card is the correct thickness it is automatically not a forgery, is extremely naive.

Frank is right about the Jackson (not that anyone needs me to back up Frank - his reputation is impeccable) - in this case the scan provides more than enough evidence that it's a reprint. It always amazes me how many fake Cracker Jacks we see on ebay, despite how easy it is to spot fakes - when will these people give up and start forging items that are a bit easier to slip by naive ebayers? Again, Steve seems honest and perhaps he was duped on this card - the grading company should provide him with feedback that he will trust more than ours.