View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Sometimes ebay sellers are just plain dumb

Posted By: Marc S.

<<This is evidenced by the results of the t207 lot. Imagine what he could have realized for a price if he had simply responded to emails.>>

At the end of the day -- this is a seller who has about 500 Ebay auctions running on any given day. This seller has probably had close to 100,000 auctions run on Ebay over the past four years. The seller does this as a FULL-TIME business.

The seller probably looked at the situation like this: In his zip code in California, a full-time administrative person might cost in excess of $50,000 (before benefits, taxes, etc.). Seller decides to put a good amount of information on all auctions, thus hopefully limiting any potential questions and queries from potential customers that would cause a need for an administrative assistant. Seller realizes he will lose bids from some because of this -- but imagines the saved costs outweigh the benefits of the assistant.

This is a major seller in the hobby -- and one of the major buyers as well. Darrell runs a very good business model; I do not know exactly how long he has been in business. Indications are that he makes a ton of money at what he does -- and he has been doing this for at least five years -- probably much longer.

Though we as armchair analysts can dispute his methodologies for running his business -- at the end of the day, he has made himself rich through his business over a number of year -- something that 90% of entrepreneurs cannot say.

If you feel that you can run your own profitable business because of either a) the large lots, b) the inefficient scanning or c) any other aspect of the seller's practices, please go ahead. I'll keep my day job, and still patronize this seller in the meantime.