Thread: SGC gripe
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default SGC gripe

Posted By: warshawlaw

Since time immemorial (or at least since I started collecting in 1971) multiple creases = good or vg. I don't think I'm out on a limb on this, either. For example, here is what Beckett said in 1988 in the Baseball Collectibles book: "A 'Minor Defect' would be . . . light crease on back. . . An Excellent card may have minor defects." He also wrote: "A 'Major Defect' would be . . . crease(s). . . a VG card may have one major defect. A Good card may have two or more major defects."

Is this the irrefutable word from heaven? Nope. Can everyone have their own standards for grading? Nope. There has to be some consistency throughout the Hobby or we cannot converse accurately. I feel that my standards reflect the long-term "established" grading views of the Hobby and that SGC hits it on the nose nearly all the time. A card with more than one crease is vg at best. It isn't SGC or PSA or EIEIO's standard--it is pretty much an accepted standard among collectors. The card may have much better eye appeal but the grade is still the same. If not, we get into qualifiers, which I think we all agree is a pandora's box that only PSA has been dumb enough to open and only auctioneers are unscrupulous enough to employ ("excellent except for slight trimming").

I agree it is a raw deal when a nice looking card gets a lower technical grade. That doesn't make the grade indefensible, just frustrating for the seller. As I said, I will take a nice card with a crease over a crease-free card with more wear. My DeLongs type card is exactly that, a Bill Terry that is ex-mt but for a crease.