View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default T 206 Cobb Bat On Shoulder PSA8

Posted By: Hankron

I noticed that the Superior used auction estimates. Auction estimates are interesting things, and can be useful for the bidder. It all depends on the quality and consistency of the auction's estimates. By checking out the estimates on a diverse variety of items you have a good feel for, you can then use their estimates as a guide for items you are unfamiliar with.

In some major auctions, I have found that the estimates are bunk (either way to high, or all over the board in accuracy). In some major auctions, I have found the estimates to be below what I thought they were worth. In the recent Kennedy auction I thought the auction's estimates were way low, and the final bids supported that. I wouldn't be surprised in a vast majority of items sold went higher than the estimates and I didn't see any irrationally exuberant bidding.

I noticed that your bid was below Superior's estimate. I'm sure that Superior has lots of experience with PSA graded cards (exemplified that they are owned by CU/PSA). This means that you can guage the accuracy of their estimates on other items to get a feel of the accuracy of their estimate on this card. This won't give an exact value of anything, but can give a good feel.

I have not checked out any other Superior lots to form an opinion on the quality of their estimates.