View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Default Publications: 19th Century Baseball

Posted By: Jeff S

Scott,

You may have this, but "Baseball's First Stars" is sort of the sequel to "Nineteenth Century Stars." It includes HOFers, though it is probably a little less focused on pre-1871 stuff.

I don't know of any compilations of stats from the period you mention. I suspect they are not published in a widely available format. Aside from local papers, places to look to do the research yourself include Porter's Spirit of the Times, Wilkes's Spirit of the Times, and Henry Chadwick's newspaper, which I believe was called "Base Ball Player's Chronicle," and was only published for about a year.

If you are a member of SABR, I ~strongly~ recommend joining the 19th century committee and then joining the 19th century e-group, which many of the most active members frequently contribute to. I know that some members have done extensive research on that era for their particular region (e.g. Peter Morris, who just published a great book on Early Baseball in Michigan), and many of the people who wrote the articles for Nineteenth Century Stars are accessible through the list, and very helpful.