View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default A fortunate incident ...

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Well first off, nice Delahanty Hal!!! I hate to say it but I told you so Leon. I knew the card would grade very high. Just to let everyone know I own the other two cards from the Delahanty ebay lot, Welch and Turner which are both in about the same condition. I had to go to dinner the night the auction ended so I missed out on the final bidding.

As for grading companies not grading factory Miscuts and Too Small to Holder, well I have had quit a bit of experience with SGC and their policy. It seems to be purely political. Sean told me that if they grade a card with a factory diagonal cut then what is the first thing the collecting world will think, It's trimmed of course!!!! Hang SGC!!!! I would have to agree with their way of thinking, but obviously there are a few people out there with a lot more influence, or is it luck, than I have. It is hard to tell (sometimes) when an item is a factory cut or period trimming. Most trim jobs are very easy to spot on N172's because they are usually a lot smoother in texture than a factory cut. I for one don't like the look of a factory Miscut. Take the Mack and Cushman in the Lipset auction, will they grade? I'm sure they will if the right people sent them in and complained enough. I will say that sometimes you don't have the luxury of buying a perfect card so you have to settle for a Miscut copy as I have many of times.

I will say that PSA is a joke when it comes to 19th century material!!! Just look at the PSA 1 Sunday on ebay right now. No Ad at the bottom!!! What does that tell you? I have never seen a obviously trimmed N172 in a SGC holder, but hay I haven't seen them all! Sorry Hal! Your collection is amazing but I'm just in a different collecting market than you are. I think PSA is loosing it. They do sell better than SGC but not that far off.

Hay if you would like to sell the Delahanty you know where to send it, no not Mastro, ME!!!!
Trevor