View Single Post
Old 10-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default latest ebay fraud email

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I got my first one today. Beautifully done, with the ebay logos and copyrights, etc. I became suspicious because it asked for my password and username, so I reported it to ebay. Here is part of the response I got from ebay--read it because it provides the "bottom line" on any email you receive claiming anything is wrong with or needed from your ebay account:

"eBay will never ask you for sensitive personal information such as passwords, bank account or credit card numbers, Personal Identification Numbers (PINs), or Social Security numbers in an email itself. If you ever need to provide information to eBay please open a
new Web browser, type www.ebay.com, and click on the "site map" link located at the top the page to access the eBay page you need."

"If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com and do not respond to it or click on any of the links in the email message. Please do not change the subject line or forward the email as an attachment."

Get it, kids? ebay will NEVER ask you for a password or any information in an email AND you should never use a link in an email to go to ebay for an account related issue.

Hope this helps.