View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Default Any thoughts on whether this card would cross-over?

Posted By: MW

TBob,

I do not know the exact context of your conversation/submission with SGC, but let me offer the following explanation:

If someone asked me if NASA or AAA graded "cards" were real, authentic baseball cards, I would answer, "No." But that is not to say that these two companies haven't graded some real baseball cards. In fact, I've seen groups of 1970s non-sport cards and 1955 Bowmans in NASA's and AAA's rudimentary holders. However, the fact remains that a very, very large percent of the material graded by these two companies would not be considered legitimate baseball cards by most experienced vintage collectors.

I think the same holds true for ASA graded cards. Unquestionably, in the late 80s and early 90s, some collectors, both from the United States and Canada where Mr. Hagar maintained a certain presence, submitted sports cards to ASA from their own collections. Many of these cards would probably be graded today by more reputable grading companies. But it should be pointed out that a staggering number of cards residing in ASA holders came from Mr. Hagar himself. This curious circumstance, along with the accompanying allegations of rampant monkey business, has come to taint much of the ASA graded product. Now, that's not to say that 100% of all ASA graded cards have been trimmed/altered, but I don't think it's unreasonable to reject certain types of ASA graded cards on specs (card types) alone. In fact, I think it says something positive for this hobby that a major grading company is willing to take such a stand***. Imagine, for instance, how much eBay would be improved, if the company (eBay) came out with an official statement rejecting the validity of AAA/NASA grading.

***for those who would like more information on ASA grading, an article in a back issue of VCBC by Dennis Purdy provides some interesting and valid viewpoints.