View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb's True Rookie Card

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm sorry, I forgot personal opinions are not allowed here. sarcasm off I didn't say that you shouldn't collect that way, just said that I thought it was retarded, and I will not back down from that. For many players, it's almost impossible to say what their rookie card is. This no concensous as to what a 'card' is or as to what a 'rookie' card is. Is it his first card appearance regardless of league affiliation or his first appearance on a 'card' with a major legue team.

It's also possible that the use 'rookie card' made me flash to modern card collectors and their obsession with rookie cards. If the poster had asked "what was Cobb's first card appearance?" I would have probably reacted differently.

However you want to collect is fine by me. Make fun of my player set if you like, but it is clear cut, and well defined. A collection of 'rookie cards' is vague and nebulous at best. One person's rookie collection will be different from someone else's because of how they define what is a rookie and what is a card.

Jay