View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default I have no idea what this means

Posted By: Wonkaticket

I agree some descriptions can be a little over the top. But keep in mind at the end of the day his job is to sell cards. I see nothing wrong with the way the lots are described; he’s making the best of what he has to work with. Trying to entice potential bidders to place bids on respective lots is all part of the sales game. A little glaze sometimes goes a long way. I think we all are a bit guilty of doing this with cards we have sold or tried to sell. No one really ever says this card is a piece of F-G crap please bid. We all follow up with the “but it has real nice eye appeal” for a F-G piece of crap. People in this hobby since the beginning of time over sell their cards or lots. How many people with the graded cards play the none graded higher line, or low population. I bet it does have a low population I doubt there was a rush at the offices of PSA or SGC on 1958 Walt Dropo’s. Its up to the bidder to decipher the lot and judge wither its worth bidding on.

The problem when I started collecting there was no given standard on grading every person had a different NM if you say. It was my job to figure, which ones were NM and which ones were way off. I got out of the hobby for a while and when I returned the grading companies were here and getting strong. They were going to save us from the non-standard. We all could relax they were going to be the standard in grading to make our lives easier. Well I think we all can agree they have not succeeded. Even when we by graded cards or pay to have them graded sometimes we still disagree with grade. At the end of the day this hobby and its items are really subjective and everyone has a different opinion on how to describe or grade items.

In a world where every product is over sold I’m real surprised you guys are shocked or upset by this. This type of over selling happens all around us not just on ebay and with auction houses. Not to burst anyone’s bubble but if you drink Miller Lite you wont become popular and hot chicks will not want to have sex with you.

Just my two cents.

John