View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default Ask the Standard Catalog . . .

Posted By: Eric

Mr. Lemke~

I just wanted to clarify my suggestion on the division of dates, as maybe it was originally misinterpreted. I completely understand from a financial standpoint that the SCD must remain as one book, I'm not asking or suggesting that it be broken into separate books or volumes. I understand that this would be a large mistake for KP, financially speaking. My suggestion is, instead of using the current breakdown dates (1980 and before, and 1980-present), I was suggesting that this dateline be changed to possibly 1946-before, and 1947-present. The dividing year in the 1940's is subject to various opinions, 1947 and 1942 are also good years of separation, depending on how you look at it. My opinion is influenced by what I collect of course, but I truly feel that the majority of baseball card collectors also would like this split. Actually, I'd probably make a three-way split, representing: 1947-present (the vintage era), 1948-1980 (the Topps era), and 1981-present (the modern era).

I don't have the publishing insight that you do, but I think the hobby might like these separations a bit more than what is currently used. Maybe an open forum to address this specific debate might be a consideration for you. These are just my opinions, and I thank you for considering them!

Eric Eichelkraut