View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default A couple of printer scrap cards I recently picked up

Posted By: runscott

My thought is that this would be impossible, but I will leave it those who have more background and more familiarity with lithograph printing processes to explain why (Art, Pete and Keith O'Leary should be able to help). I would absolutely love to see a VCBC article by one or more of these guys on the production of t206's - PLEASE!

There are a wide variety of opinions on the value of cards like this, but market value is ultimately determined by what collectors are willing to pay - I have a group of "scrap collector" friends who I share images and stories with. Strange vintage sub-culture, but we have fun. You would not believe some of the collections these guys have of printer scrap cards. Also, you have to keep in mind that some of these cards provide insight into how t206's were manufactured, so there is a definite historical value. There was another card I picked up in this lot that has a story to tell - I plan on writing an article about it prior to posting images, etc., and after speaking with Art to confirm (or negate!) my thoughts.

I received all four of the above cards as part of a Mastro lot - I was very nervous about winning an auction with that many "unknowns" after hearing all the horror stories on the board about auction house grading, but these were graded accurately - at least close enough that I would buy more lots like this from Mastro.

I will also add that I violated my bidding rule of writing down a high bid days in advance and not going over it no matter what, while under the calming influence of a bottle of Cabernet - Mastro should send bottles to their customers to arrive the day the auctions end