View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default A couple of printer scrap cards I recently picked up

Posted By: warshawlaw

I like scrap/error/mistake/SNAFU cards. They are interesting and different from mainstream collecting. I've got a T205 back miscut, a T201 that is badly miscut front and back, an M116 blank back with missing colors, and a T218 front ghost (back print visible on the front). I'm always looking for new ones--spelunking through commons piles at shows. I've also got a great 1949 Leaf Spahn with a back ghost, two 1948 Leaf boxers with blank backs, and three 1948 Leaf wrong backs. My most recent acquisition: a 1969 Topps Yaz severely miscut. It was so far off that I had to have it. The nicest thing about cards like these, especially post WWII cards, is that they are often relegated to the junk bins and can be acquired cheaply.

we are not the only hobby where interest in errors contributes to premium prices. Stamp collectors prize errors (one of the most famous is a stamp with an upside-down plane on it). Coin collectors often go nuts over something called a "double die" coin, which happens when a coin is stamped more than once, and over partial coins that result from mechanical mangling during manufacture.