View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge News Letters

Posted By: warshawlaw

I don't think there should be that much surprise over the prices on these publications. I have bought and sold old SCD and TTS in the past few years with a good deal of success and have seen those pubs about double in value in that time. The works sold yesterday are well respected and out of print. Nearly every Zeenuts collector I know wants that book.

Has anyone seen/does anyone remember The Complete Book Of Baseball Cards by Steve Clark (1976)? I got the book when I was 11 and it more or less fueled my zeal for old cards. It has a priceless chapter on rare cards which starts out imagining a world where collectors had price guides and used them to calculate the relative values of their trades, then says "So much for fantasy." The book has interviews with many hobby legends, lots of pics of cards and is a great snapshot of what it was like to collect ca. 1975.

And now for the "Doh" (to quote Homer Simpson): About a year ago I came across a hardbound copy of the ACC from 1960 in a used bookstore. Since I'd purchased the Nostalgia Press reprint, I elected to keep the five bucks. Doh!!