View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Turkey Red Cobb on ebay

Posted By: Craig

Hi All,

All is well here. I'm a bit stumped on this Cobb T3, as it appears legit at first glance. There were NO first series cards (1-76) issued with the Turkey Red "Ad" back. I've never seen or heard of one (that doesn't actually prove much I suppose), but niether has Mr. Lipset or Mr. Knouse. Because the cards are thick and sometimes appear to be three separate pieces of paper (a thick carboard-like center with thinner paper attached to each side, I suppose a re-backing could have occurred. I have also seen a few examples of a somewhat obscure T3 reprint of sorts, that had those same nicely rounded corners.

I emailed Scott G - as I'm sure a few of you have as well. I'll let you know his response.

Regaring other T3 back issues, I have lots of thoughts. I won't bore you (unless you ask). For instance, my feeling is that the Rhoades card will only be found with a checklist back - thus it's relative scarcity. Anyone have one with an "Ad" back? Lew's book also describes the other "corrected" cards - McIntyre, Doolin, Paskert, Tenney, Willis? as having distinct backs (only 1 variation versus 2). My Walter Johnson has a checklist back, by the way.

Sorry I don't have a better answer on the Cobb. My opinion is that it has been tampered with. Only my opinion, but let's just say I am highly skeptical. Analyzing potential T3 back combinations is cetainly not a science, but compared to T206, it's somewhat elementary. And, while a new back/front combo pops up now and then in T206, I doubt the same will happen in T3.

That's my two cents. I'm always happy to talk Turkey Red! Happy Collecting!

Craig

[edited to fix a formatting problem]