View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default 1863 Jordan & Co

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

and say it's a card, at least if what Andy and Harry post is true. Great topic though.

If people could have used a "regular", non-photo ticket to gain entrance, and then buy (or receive free) the Harry Wright, Sam Wright, Crossley or Hammond items inside the gate, would we then agree that it is a card? If so, then I think the fact you could keep the item as a souvenir--not surrender it--makes it more than a ticket, and the fact that the premium for the picture was paid before rather than after you entered the ballpark is really a distinction without a difference.

What were the circumstances surrounding distribution of the Peck&Snyders? Were they offered over a period of time or just in conjunction with some one-time sale in 1868 and 1869? Do we know? If the latter, is that really different than the Wright item for one event? What if the Hoboken event was advertised over a period of a month or two, such that those interested had many weeks to obtain it. Is it then more in line with a "summer sale" with P&S Sporting goods, if that is how long those cards were available?

Next, these are aparently different than the CDVs or cabinet cards that players may have had created individually for distribution to their family and friends and fans. This "Wright" and others ostensibly were available to anyone who wanted them--I suppose even if you couldn't attend and just wanted the pictures.

Finally, as Julie and others touched upon, the hobby seems to acknowledge other erstwhile tickets and schedules as cards, so that should not by itself disqualify this item.

My 2 cents.