View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Default GAI - best slab in the biz

Posted By: brian p

It certainly sounds and seems like this company is getting slopping with their slabbing. I was not trying to punch any holes in your story...it sounds as if you have a dozen different reasons to be incredibly upset with this company.

My comment was just to point out that the Star Player cards are very thin, and that I can understand how difficult it would be to keep them from sliding around in a holder. As Bob mentioned, he has recently graded E94's 'floating' within their GAI holders--I personally find coffin swimmers very visually unappealing--so obviously there are problems concerning the design/sealing of their holders (not to mention their customer service--best of luck in resolving this mess).

Just out of curiosity Ryan, since I am totally unfamiliar with Cuban cards, are the two floaters you have pictured in your link on thin, regular or thick stock?

Final thought--after hearing this story, and others like it, a collector really should consider why they are getting their cards graded. Perhaps these grading companies are fine if you are interested in maximizing the dollar amount you will receive upon resale, or to authenticate cards if you are an inexperienced collector or unsure about a particular issue, and perhaps to protect them (although a screw down holder will do just as well). To an experienced, non-financially motivated collector like myself, it's just not worth either the money involved, the hassle, or the potential that your cards will get 'lost' or damaged.

Just my anti-slab rant,

Brian