View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Default I am still not too sure how Mastro bidding system works

Posted By: Max

My last questionable experience in an auction left me predictably without a win. A hockey lot (Jeff O would be proud) sold in the one of the last Mastro auctions for $1400 (1600 or so with buyer's premium). I was somewhat surprised to see it surface again only 4 months later in a lesser known auction house (which shall remain nameless, but whose initials are Canadian whiskey). The opening bid was $500 with one bidder. I bid $550 before the cutoff time. We thus were the only bidders eligible to bid. By midnight, no action. However, before I went to bid, I phoned my friend and bet I would be outbid. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince him to cover, no matter what the odds were. Not surprisingly, I awoke having been outbid.

Why would someone list this so soon after paying big bucks in Mastro, with an opening bid at 1/3? Shrill shill thrill, I suspect. Only I didn't bite and raise my bid, and I suspect the item remains in the hands of the original owner. Their new auction listings go straight to the garbage, as I'd rather play hockey than bid in their auctions.

Max