View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Default Jewish Baseball Players

Posted By: Joe P.

Looking at a 1871 program, Haymakers vs Mutuals.
There's a Pike listed batting 7th and playing right field for Troy.
I wonder if that's Jakob or Lipman Pike?

It's too bad that Harry Danning can't make the Cooperstown Jewish celebration on the 29th/30th of August.
If it isn't a medical problem, why don't they set up a double TV hookup just to say "Hello".
It's a once in a lifetime happening for everyone, and what could be better than to have the oldest living Jewish ballplayer say Hi from home and be part of it?
Just a thought from a former production stage manager.

Andy Baran:
I got to see Sid Gordon play quite a few games for the Giants at the Polo Grounds.
He was a hell of a good ball player, and like Peter Thomas says, he could hit the dinger.
---------------------------------
Elliot:

"Andy, Let's face it, once a jewish kid gets to be bar mitzvah age he has a better chance of owning a major league team than playing for one.....and a much better chance of being a sportscard collector."
Elliot you have no idea how much on target that is.
I now live in Virginia, and I go to about 50 Potomac Cannons games of the Carolina League.
The team is a high class A level owned by this guy that once lived in Annapolis - now lives in Florida, and flys up for the home stands during the seasons.
The man is a retired Banker sort of.
He loves the game, and is doing what he loves to do.
Part of what he loves to do is suit up and coach on first. ... in between innings, he'll work the crowd. .... P.T. Barnum lives.
I love the guy and his family.
When I first met him, I found out that he was from Brooklyn and that he use to play his stickball games right outside of Ebbets Field.
He told me that they wouldn't start the stickball game until the lady finished singing the National Anthem at Ebbets Field. ... he was serious. ..... you gotta love it.
This guy got married at homeplate.
How many of us can go to work in a baseball uniform wearing number 42 on the back?
How many of us got married at homeplate?

Being that I was from NYC Manhattan.
Being that I went to Seward Park H.S. in the lower East Side.
Being that I knew ha bissel Yiddish.
Being that I loved kishka, bagels & lox, pickles right from the barrel and marble halavah cut to order.
Being that at one time or another, I had the privledge and honor to be invited to celebrate a holy day .... I had Yarmulke, will travel.

Ultimately, Art Silber - oh yeah that's this guys name, Art Silber - came up to me with a bewildered look on his face and said, "What are you?"

With a smile I said:
"I'm a Puerto Rican/Cuban/New Yorker -- With a Hebrew National taste."

We have been lansmen from the old country ever since.

Joe