View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default 20th Century Baseball

Posted By: John

Also lets not forget that many of these records from the past are so impressive simply due to the time in which they were archived. Many of these records like Johnson, Cobb, Aaron, Ruth, and Gehrig were done in times without the aid of modern day medicines, growth hormones, personal trainers and modern equipment. Social issues and views also played roles in the achievement of these records. In the case of Aaron and other black greats simply getting in and off the field I’m sure was an emotional stress due to the social views many people had towards black athletes.

When I look at record it’s not just a number to me there are many factors that I take into consideration so to me all records even broken ones are sometimes amazing and in a way unbreakable even though technically it was broken. Maris is a perfect example not only does he archive an amazing season with 61 home runs beating Ruth’s record but does so with constant stress, anxiety attacks and daily death threats. Clearly something no modern player has had to endure.

I can’t help but think that the aid of these modern convinces helps the modern player to achieve great things.