View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default 20th Century Baseball

Posted By: jay behrens

WW, I was waiting for someone to bring up that Gold Glove. The GG award is about the most meaningless piece of hardware awarded. It rarely has anything to do with a player's defensive ability and more to do with how well he batted. I lived in the Bay Area while Mac was in Oakland and watched him play all the time. Mattingly wawsn't even the best 1B in the AL. Hrbek was better, but MAttingly got the GG becuase of his bat and the fact he played for NY. Mac was a decent 1B but he lacked any type of range and you never saw drop into a split the Hrbek could. And Herby wasn't a svelt guy.

As for the shots into The Cove, if it was so easy, then why have only 4 other people ever been able to do it. I've been lucky enough to stand at home plate at SBC and that wall looks so close that even I could knock it over. But it obviously isn't an easy thing to do.

And I will agree that I don't like body armor on any player. Bagwell and Biggio are 2 others that come to mind when I think excessive body armor. This stuff should be taken away from the players so the pitcher can get the inside of the plate back.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.