View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Matthew Sears - are you out there?

Posted By: Joe P.

First of all, Scott is absolutely right.
I have no ax to grind with him.
As a matter of fact, I support his projects.
I will support anyone that adds to my hobby.

My response to this thread was based on the original Title and opening statements of this thread that was deleted and adjusted to a more proper presentation.
That's the part that Chris missed when he came in the middle of the movie.

Simply stated, I felt that the original was unjustifiably and unfairly slanted towards the unknown factors of the seller. ... it was only a week.
Mind you, this is coming from a buyer, (me) and I took the stand of defending an unknown seller.
Mind you #2, coming from a buyer that's dealth with deadbeat sellers.
Was I looking for fairplay? .... Nah!

Now for the fun part, and also for the sake of Clarity.

A question to all collectors/speculators on this
board.

Is there anyone else on this board that calls a very hard covered 3 ring binder - loaded with 18 slot tobacco pages - A notebook?

Scotty, I luv man, It was great meeting you and Cy at the Chantilly show - hit us with another cameo appearance.

Now B4 anyone gets the idea that I go around shows toting my T206 - T205 notebook with me.
Let me remind you that I grew up in Spanish Harlem during the latter part of the depression and the '40'S.
I guess what I'm trying to say is:
I couldn't have procured a better toe's in the ground education from the Lawrenceville School, or M.I.T. ... but it would have been nice.

Now here's the story on how the Notebook got to the Chantilly show and Cy's & Scotts hands.

I go to about 35 - 40 Potomac Cannons minor league games here in Virginia with a buddy that's not a card collector.
He's a lobbyist In DC and Richmond and has other heavylike things on his mind.
He is however a sportsfan, and I told him about tobacco cards.
He lives near the Chantilly Expo Center, and I just brought the cards over to pay him a visit.
From there I went to the show and was not about to leave the cards in the car.
The best part was the pleasure of seeing the mug shots of Cy & Scott, two of the usual suspects from our notorius forum.
---------------------
Adam J. Moraine

Hello Adam, In answer to your question about the Wagner.
No - I don't own the second hardest card of the T206 set.
In 1990 I set out on a plan to complete the set, but it didn't work out, and that's another story.
"The Big One", the Slow Joe Doyle league designator error card, and the Plank & Magie from the "Big Three", were in a safety deposit box that day.
The rest of the set was there to seen by Cy & Scott.
The set is ungraded and has great eye appeal.
Needless to say, I'm proud of it.

Having said that, the set that I really feel closer to is the T206 set that I started out with.
That set has grown to about 490 something.
It is made up of some cards that would give the appearance that they were loved by every tobacco card collector that ever lived.
When I started it, the idea was to see how many NYC team players I can get.
Any grades will do.
Who the hell in their right mind would entertain the idea of collecting the whole damn set?
You gotta be kiddin.

I told this to Harvey, here at Chumley's Rest, and he orders another Martini.