View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default OLD JUDGE "ANONYMOUS" CARD ON EBAY

Posted By: Jay Miller

Mike-The anonymous Mayo football card was listed that way before it was known who the player was. The catalogs should probably be updated to indicate the player's name with a notation that it was left off the card. In any case, the anonymous designation for the Mayo football card served to differentiate it from all the other cards in the set. There was only one card with the name left off. In the Old Judge set there are several cards with the name left off. An anonymous designation does not clearly identify it. Perhaps it should be labeled as Daley-No Name.

As to your question of whether there are more cards with the name left off or more California League cards I don't know the answer. I know there are about 25 California League cards representing 19 different players. I know that because they are considered very significant cards. I know of 3 or 4 different players whose name has been left off their cards. I have never considered these to be particularly interesting and never kept track of how many of each I have seen. To me this was just a variation on a pose. The pose was interesting, the variation wasn't. To me this was no more significant than a misspelled name. This is just my opinion based on my collecting interests. Someone with different collecting interests might be really turned on by this type of card and that would be great. That is the beauty of the Old Judge set--plenty of different things to focus in on.