View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Default OLD JUDGE "ANONYMOUS" CARD ON EBAY

Posted By: Joe_G.

As Judge Dred already mentioned, this card appeared on eBay about a year ago and sold for $3207 (3277668848) with a lesser grade example more recently won by Jim Clarke (JC) this past June for $1247.22 (5103189825) and can be seen on his website.

While this listing was a bit misleading to me when first listed (I thought it hinted a bit strongly that this was a newly discovered pose), the seller has added the following note to the listing:

Important note: One other example of this same card sold in much lower grade on June 27 for $1247.22. The eBay auction number is 5103189825

I feel this added note clears up any confusion about the card being unique etc. I'm happy to see the seller is being honest and straightforward on this matter.

There are truely many N172 rarities/oddities including:
- no name
- numbered 1887 cards without the number (many examples of this, many of which are likely unique)
- mis-spellings
- error cards showing wrong position or team

One of my favorite is a batting pose Kid Baldwin shown for Detroits making you believe it may be a Lady Baldwin card) etc. One of these Baldwin errors showed up in the Oregon find. It was strange to see a Cincinnati catcher shown as a Detroit pitcher. One of many unlisted, never before catalogued rarities found in the Oregon find and elsewhere.

The script 1889 cards (funny to hear them referred to as a subset) do not appear to be all that rare. One example, Charlie Bennett, that I'm most familiar with is fairly easy to obtain despite it being his only pose in the set. Because of cropping variations, the script name is sometimes obscured (paritally covered up) nearly making these cards "no name".

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski