View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Good Vintage Card Shops in Los Angeles Area?

Posted By: Gary B.

Thanks guys, and thanks Anthony for the link to that other thread - it was quite illuminating.

I have been in the Burbank store (found it quite by accident), but unfortunately before I really got back into collecting.

I do know, especially having spent time recently in card shops and shows that you pretty much have to go to ebay to get good deals and selection, but I just miss the old-fashioned aspect of being able to go and see cards in person.

There are two card shops where I live, one of which has a tiny vintage selection, and one that has a decent vintage selection (well, they've got a little anyway) that's hideously over-priced. It's always a painful experience when I go in there - a nice guy who runs the place, some nice looking cards, but the guy is just completely out of touch with reality. Ask him the price on anything (most cards are not marked with drives me up the wall) and he goes into the back to consult his price guide and will always be willing to go lower than what he thinks it's worth. Trouble is - he'll say $50, but i'll go $45 or even $40 - I know for a fact however that card in that condition sells for $10-$15 on ebay regularly. He had a bunch of 1940/1941 Playball commons in very poor condition that he tried to sell me for $10-$15 each - just made me want to scream when he asked me if I wanted them, but I calmly said no thanks and left.

I honestly don't know how these people stay in business. If it's just by selling their newer cards, I understand, because the vintage audience is specialized enough that people will not grossly overpay. I've been going to this place for a year or so, and his vintage card selection is exactly the same as it was back then - maybe he doesn't really want to sell them, just display them?