View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default Dating the Peck & Snyder "Creighton" Card

Posted By: ramram 

I know there have been questions and commentaries in the past as to whether Peck & Snyder's James Creighton "Card" was actually the first baseball card. Varying dates have placed this card (aka cdv, aka trade card) between 1863 & 1868. My question is - Does this card have a "Peck & Snyder" advertisement on the back? Andrew Peck had his own sporting goods company apparently up until at least 1867 as the last page of the 1867 Beadle's Dime Guide has an ad for the "Andrew Peck & Co., 105 Nassau Street, N.Y." store. If Snyder did not join until after this time, and if the Creighton card has an ad on the back for "Peck & Snyder", then the Creighton card would obviously be from some time later than 1867. It might be fitting that it was 1868 since this was the same time that Peck & Snyder produced the 1868 Atlantics team card. I know that the Peck & Snyder topic was heavily covered before but did anybody ever determine when Snyder joined Peck? Any conflicting testimony?

Rob M.

I made a post in another thread that didn't fit in well so I'm reposting in this new thread.