View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default Let's see your favorite postcards

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I am fairly certain that Cal Hubbard is pictured on this postcard...Levi I am less certain. They both did attend CBC....I just haven't found anything solid that they both attended in 1920.

"Football became well known at Chillicothe Business College in the early part of the 20th century. Two athletes who became nationally known played with the C.B.C. Ducks. Although neither Cal Hubbard nor John Levi were native Livingston County young men, they both played for the local college team and later became All-American Football player’s when chosen to Grantland Rice’s Dream Team. John Levi went from Chillicothe to Haskell Institute and Cal Hubbard became a starting tackle with the professional Green Bay Packers. Hubbard later became an American League Baseball umpire for many years."

http://www.livingstoncountylibrary.org/History/County/1981/1981sports.htm

Obviously the rules about eligibility were different back in those days as some of these guys went from one college to the next. Hubbard by my calculation played college football on and off between 1920 and 1926 at three different schools.