View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Default The State of This Forum

Posted By: barrysloate

Dan- very few, but I saw a great one yesterday. I even discovered a new photographic medium.

A board member purchased a beautiful glass plate display photo, which looks like an ambrotype but is really a negative, of a marching band parading down a country road, perhaps the main street of a small town in Connecticut. The process is called colodian (sp) and among the marchers was a baseball team in full uniform, purportedly the Mansfields and dated ca. 1872 (okay, a little later than the 1860's). If it is dated and identified correctly, Jim O'Rourke should be marching with the team. You can actually see it on the website jamesdjulia.com. It's in the second session and you need some search word to find it, but it's findable. And it's a beauty. So I saw a brand new image yesterday.

Clint- that's a beautiful photo and by the style of hats and beards, it does look to be late 1860's. However, because the players are wearing knickers, it is likely early 1870's, perhaps 1872-74. The Red Stockings were supposed to be the first team to sport knickers instead of long pants, but I have no proof of this.