View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default Autograph Signers- Best and Worst

Posted By: Bob B.

I have many first hand stories, mainly from the 70's. Jim Gantner let me batboy for the Brewers in a spring training game and gave me a bat. (Yes, still have it).
Lou Brock bought me and a friend Breakfast on his 40th birthday in a San Diego hotel. (we were auto hounds). Signed 5 items for me and over 30 for my friend. We were both about 13-14 at the time. I saw Lou a few months ago at a signing I took my son to and he said he remembered me! Who knows? The 40th is a big one. Anyway, after reading the book "October 1964" (my birhday month and year) I gained a lot of respect for him. The book mentions his intentions of educating himself to help his community. Lou Brock is a great man as a person and by the way, not a bad ballplayer.
Other players off the top of my head- Cliff Johnson, Dick Drago, Mike Hargrove, Jim Maler, Eddie Murray, George Brett, Terry Kennedy, too many others to list. Great experiences with the above, like all people, ballplayers have good and bad days so have nothing bad to say about anybody.