View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default Help Needed with 1890's Baseball Photo - St Louis Uni

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys,
Had a good day at the estate auction today and picked up a large group of vintage sports photos and post cards (I'll share the rest in the pickups thread when I get a chance). I wanted to share 1 photo in particular. It is a photo of a baseball team that I believe is of Ohio Northern University (ONU) I was dating this as late 1890's - is that dating accurate? I know alot of you guys know vintage gloves and bats a lot better than I do so that may help you date it more accurately. My major question regarding this item, pertains to 1 of the players. While most are wearing generic baseball sweaters/uniforms, 2 are wearing shirts marked with ONU, while 1 is wearing a uniform shirt that appears to read St. Louis. The style of the St with the T and a dot under it is very similar to the style worn by Comiskey in the scraps series. What are your thoughts about this player. Is he most likely wearing a shirt donated to the school by the Major League club? Could he be a St Louis player visiting the school? Something else?

Any input is great appreciated.

thanks
Keith